Monday, April 22, 2013

Dear Family,
>
> I didn't spend any time thinking about what to email, so this will be even more scatter brained than usual.
>
> what happened this week?
>
> Oh, yesterday, we had to take the bus into Bandar Klang with Beh, because he wanted to teach her a lesson (I'll talk more about that later).  Well, it must have been some random public holiday because the masses came out to Bandar [Bandar means like downtown, or center, like "Bandar Seri Begawan" in Brunei].  We were literally fighting to get onto the bus that heads to the port to go home.  I told Elder Stahle to be careful..... well... we get on the bus, and they pack us in like sardines.  I thought it was amusing how little space there was left in the bus, especially because there was only one door on the bus, so if someone wanted to get off, there would have been NO way to get there.  Anyway, I asked ELder Stahle to take a picture of it.... he goes to the pocket on his backpack... which was already open.  TUrns out someone stole his camera, whether on the bus or in the crowds before we got on.  He was fuming/still is.  haha.  Very disappointing though.  He had it in his front pocket for easy access... for him and the robbers O.o  So it looks like my Pday is going to be camera shopping in Bukit Bintang KL.  :(
>
> So Beh is set on baptizing his family, which is really cool/humbling to see.  He was telling us yesterday of all the ways the gospel could help his mom, and his family.  Like all families, they have there fair share of issues.  People here are not shy about telling you about them, which can be a good thing and a bad thing....  After hearing more about them, it is so clear to me that the same thing that has helped Beh so much can also help his mom, and their family.  We had a formal lesson yesterday in Bandar with her, and I think there were some things that really stood out to her.  Especially when she was asked, what is her purpose here, she had no idea, but kept wanting to know what WE thought her purpose was.  I'm excited for Beh to get a taste of missionary work.
>
> There was a baptism on saturday in CHeras, so we took Beh there and tried to get another investigator there (he had last minute plans).  He is an Iban man working in Cheras (outside KL) and his family still lives in Sibu, Sarawak.  The cool part about it was that at 7:00 on saturday, his family was baptized in Sibu Jaya, and at 8:00, he was baptized in KL, and his family was able to watch it via skype through a senior couples iPad.  (sidenote, literally all senior couples use iPads here....)  It was a good experience to see, although the hours of public transportation nightmares made me almost go crazy before we got there.
>
> What else?
>
> Oh!!  Mike Whitson is going to be baptized this Sunday!  He is our American investigator!  He is so great, and we never thought this was going to happen.  In case you've forgotten, he is married to Sis. Sophie Ting's daughter.  That family takes such good care of the missionaries.  Whether it is taking us out to nice meals (or getting us take out when they go), or driving investigators to church, they are always there.  It's really nice that we have the opportunity to help out their family with this Baptism, because they have been hoping and praying about it for a long time.  What's even cooler is that he is moving to Utah soon, so we'll be able to see him later!
>
> My District is about half of the KL area.  So there are about 10 of us.  How we do it here is that KL is divided into 2 districts, with 2 district leaders, but we all meet together for district meetings for a big get together at the senior couples apartments.  I take turns with the other DL giving training/guiding discussion.  Last week, during my training, the AP's called and said they were in town and wanted to come see the training.  I was sweating bullets, but thankfully I prepared something (not winging it like people usually do -____-)!  haha it was fine.
>
> What else...
>
> before I forget, for the next package, please send more of the good deodorant!  I just opened my last one yesterday.  I will proudly be one of the few people in this beautiful country that wear deodorant... haha.
>
> OH, this story is kind of for Eric.  So jackfruit is actually one of my favorite fruits here.  There are two kinds.  One is the plain jackfruit, the other is the honey jackfruit.  It turns out that in Hawaii we ate the fruit completely wrong.... way to go Robinsons  on vacation.  In Bahasa, it is Nangka Madu.  Anyway, we found a little street vendor that sells some delicious nangka, so I'll send a picture of it.
>
> Last week we finally went to the Muzium Negara.  It was really good, except I might just be saying that because I've been dying to go to a museum.  For a national museum, I was disappointed in how small it was.  It only talked about the ethnic malay history, so the Ting's told me it was small because the malays have no history!  haha.  I'll send some cool pictures from it.  As we were touring it, an entourage from the Jordan military came in with a bunch of reporters.  They had some US naval guys with them also.  They rushed me through the first part of the museum -___-.  I still don't know why they were there.
>
> That's sad to hear about the boston bombing.  No good.  Elections are in a few weeks here and there is rumors that it could go bad.  Missionaries might have to stay in.  Did I say that in the last email?  Our neighborhood has been plastered with all types of flags, banners, and posters.  It's kind of cool because they have them all in english, tamil, Malay, arabic, and chinese, so the people voting can understand!
>
> I can't think of anything else.  HOpe everyone has a good week.
>
> Bai
> Elder Robinson
>
> ps, I can't believe Elder White/Christiansen are almost done with their missions.  That is so bizarre.
>
>

No comments:

Post a Comment